Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, April 4, 2010

More on MySpace

In my last post about MySpace, I posed the questions - are MySpace co-operating with spammers and would they respond to my inquiry on the matter?

Well MySpace have responded but once again, have studiously avoided answering the question. Instead, I have received yet another string of instructions of what to do to avoid spam.

Now I have zero interest in reading spam. There are only so many penile enhancers that I can use at one time, I already have a good supply of my drugs (ie required medication) courtesy of my GP and local pharmacist, complete strangers offering me their undying love arouses the cynic in me, and I already have a wristwatch. I think that covers the bulk of spam that I receive in one form or another. But MySpace seem to think that I have been trying to find out how to avoid spam. Not so.

I am on a quest to obtain a definitive statement from MySpace about whether or not they are co-operating with spammers. It is just ever so convenient that no spam comes in while my MySpace account is inactive but it starts up again almost the moment I begin using my account. Sure, it might be possible that the spammers sit there trawling through every single MySpace page to see who has been active. But a far more likely explanation is that they are using applications developed to show who has been active. And what is it that MySpace have previously admitted to doing? You got it - working with third party application developers to access publicly available information.

Is it just me or does this sound suspiciously like co-operating with spam merchants and MySpace making a buck out of it along the way?

I have upped the ante a little further, asking MySpace whether or not they are co-operating with spammers, advising them that any failure to answer shall be considered a reply in the affirmative.

No comments: